BSc (Hons) Computing*
The BSc (Hons) Computing programme, run in association with Cardiff Metropolitan University, will introduce you to various areas of computer applications including latest developments in the Information Technology industry. Increasingly employers see a computing qualification as a sign of a well-rounded academic background.
Fast growing computing technology and information systems have become critical components of almost every enterprise. Companies want to recruit expert professionals who can apply computer science principles, whilst simultaneously demonstrating business knowledge and application proficiency.
Computer technologies also drive innovation in cutting edge fields - the most modern of expertise - such as the human genome project, vaccine research, environmental modelling, and games design. Other emerging areas include progress in electronic security, earth simulation (related to the expansion in the mining industry) and bioinformatics. Independent job market surveys show demand for graduates is escalating. Interestingly, the industry is concerned about an acute shortage of talent and higher salaries are commonplace.
The principal aim of the programme is therefore to endow you with the knowledge, skills and potential to embark on a career involving computer applications in the international environment.
The programme aims to:
- Develop your lifelong learning skills and Continuing Personal Development
- Develop and support your independent learning while teaching you to undertake investigations in the field of computing and apply up-to-date theories and techniques
- Provide you with opportunities to improve your technical and software skills
- Provide you with the opportunity to gain qualifications that can lead to membership of professional bodies
- Prepare you for a career in technology and computing through the development of an understanding of the complex body of core subject knowledge.
The degree programme is comprised of 6 semesters. In each semester, students complete 3 modules, each equivalent to 20 credit points, with a 40 credit point project in the final semester. The Degree is therefore equivalent to a total of 360 credit points (a figure typical of a Degree awarded by UK universities).
Students will be registered with Cardiff Metropolitan University throughout the programme. While the entire programme can be completed in London, students also have the option of studying the final semester at other LSC Group campuses in Asia.
The BSc (Hons) Computing degree is awarded by Cardiff Metropolitan University.
2 Years (6 Semesters, Full-time)
- At least 2 UK 'A' Levels or equivalent
- Should be at least 18 years old
- Mature students (above 21 years) with relevant work experience / professional qualification
- Minimum overall IELTS score of 6.0 with at least 5.5 in all other components or equivalent recognised English language qualification.
- Mathematicss for Computing and Introduction to Programming
- Object Modelling Techniques
- Database Systems Management
- Multimedia & Graphics
- Object Oriented Programming
- E-Commerce & Web Design
- Operating Systems
- Networking and Data Communications
- Human Computer Interaction
- Client Server Architecture
- Markup Language Applications
- Software Engineering
- Management Information System
- Software Project Management
- Academic Research and Development
- Advanced Software Engineering
(*) LSC would like to inform applicants that recruitment to this programme offered by this university has now ceased.